1. Cheah JS, Chionh SB. Pharmacological treatment of obesity. Proc MASSO 1996; 1:115-21.
2. National Health Survey. Highlights of main survey findings. Research & Evaluation Department, Ministry of Health (HQ) Singapore, January 1993:24.
3. Pi-Sunyer FX. Medical hazards of obesity. Ann Intern Med 1993; 119:655-60.
4. Cheah JS, Lui KF, Yeo PPB et al. Diabetes mellitus in Singapore: results of a country-wide population survey. In: Cheah JS, Lim P, Tambyah JA et al, eds: Proc 6th Asia Oceania Congr Endcr. Singapore: Stamford Press, 1978; 1:227-37.
5. Maggio CA, Pi-Sunyer FX. The prevention and treatment of obesity: application to type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 1997; 20:1744-66.
6. West KM, Kalbfleish JM. Influence of nutritional factors on prevalence of diabetes. Diabetes 1971; 20:99-108.
7. Van Itallie TB. Health implications of overweight and obesity in the US. Ann Intern Med 1985; 103:983-8.
8. Colditz GA, Willef WC, Stampfer MJ et al. Weight as a risk factor for clinical diabetes in women. Am J Epidemiol 1990; 132:501-3.
9. UKPDS Group. UK Prospective Diabetes Study 7: Response of fasting plasma glucose to diet therapy in newly presenting type 2 diabetic patients. Metabolism 1990; 39:905-12.
10. Pascale RW, Wing RR, Blair EH et al. The effect of weight loss on change in waist-hip ratio in patients with type 2 diabetes. Int J Obesity 1991; 16:59-65.
11. Gale E, Tattersall R. Obesity and diabetes. In: Tattersall RB, Gale EAM eds: Diabetes, Clinical Management. London: Churchill Livingstone. 1990:185-91.
12. Cheah JS. Current management of obesity. Singapore Med J 1996; 37(3):299-302.
13. Hadden DR, Blair ALT, Wilson EZ, et al. National history of diabetes presenting age 40-69 years: a prospective study of the influence of dietary therapy. Quart J Med 1986; 59:579-98.
14. Brown SA, Upchurch S, Anding R, et al. Promoting weight loss in type II diabetes. Diabetes Care 1996; 19:613-24.
15. Wing RR. Behavioural treatment of obesity: its application to Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 1993; 16:193-9.
16. Blair SN. Evidence for success of exercise in weight loss and control. Ann Int Med 1993; 119:702-6.
17. The National Task Force on Prevention and Treatment of Obesity: long-term pharmacotherapy in the management of obesity. JAMA 1996; 276:1907-15.
18. Scheen AJ. Anti-obesity drugs in the management of diabetes. Int Diabetes Monitor 1997; 9(1):1-8.
19. Defranzo RA, Goodman AM. The Multicentre Metformin Study Group: Efficacy of Metformin in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. New Engl J Med 1995; 333:541-9.
20. Campbell IW, Howlett HCS. Worldwide experience of Metformin as an effective glucose lowering agent: a meta-analysis. Diabetes/Metabolism Reviews 1995; 11 (Suppl 1):S57.
21. Mooradian AD. Drug therapy of NIDDM in the elderly. Drugs 1996; 51:931 -41.
22. Williams G. Can lipase inhibitor translate into effective diabetes control? Abs 16th International Diabetes Federation Congr Roche Symposium on 20 July 1997 pp 11-4.
23. Kumar S, Boulton AJ, Beck-Nielson H, et al. Troglitazone, an insulin action enhancer, improves metabolic control in NIDDM patients. Diabetologia 1996; 39:701-9.
24. Zhang Y, Proenca R, Maffei M, et al. Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human analogue. Nature 1994; 372:425-32.
25. Considine RV, Sinha MK, Heiman MC, et al. Serum immunoreactive-leptin concentrations in normal weight and obese humans. N Engl J Med 1996; 334:292-5.
26. Lui KF, Ng WY, Cheah JS, Thai AC. Leptin in normal weight, overweight and obese subjects: relation to BMI, ethnic group and gender. Abs 9th Congr ASEAN Fed Endocr Soc, 3-6 Dec 1997, Singapore, pp 166.
27. Ng WY, Lui KF, Cheah JS, Thai AC. Circulating leptin in type 2 diabetes: association with body adiposity and insulin resistance. Abs 9th Congr ASEAN Fed Endocr Soc, 3-6 Dec 1997, Singapore, pp 192.
28. Nazaimoon WM, Shah II, Mohamad WBW, et al. Serum leptin in patients with diabetes mellitus. Abs 9th Congr ASEAN Fed Endocr Soc, 3-6 Dec 1997, Singapore, pp 155.
29. Himms-Hagen J, Danforth E Jr. The potential role of beta-3-adrenoreceptor agonists in the treatment of obesity and diabetes. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes 1996; 3:59-65.